Expectations of a Peer Mentor
- Attend FYS 101 Conference.
- Attend 2017 Peer Mentor Welcome Event.
- Attend all 401 courses (for new Peer Mentors) and all spring workshops (for new Peer Mentors and returning Peer Mentors).
- Serve as a Welcome Week Leader.
- Attend all fall FYS 101 classes.
- Serve as a role model and mentor to your FYS 101 students.
- Assist your FYS 101 instructor with the FYS 101 course.
- Communicate with FYS Staff and Peer Mentor Coordinators.
- Successfully complete FYS 402.
- Help recruit and select new Peer Mentors.
PLEASE NOTE: If you have never served as a Peer Mentor before, you must complete FYS 401. This is a 1-credit hour course that you will take in the second session of Spring 2017. If you plan on being a Peer Mentor, save 1-credit hour in your Spring 2017 schedule.
- You cannot save the application and come back to it. You must fill it out in one sitting.
- You must have one UT reference (no undergraduate students may serve as a reference). The reference will not receive an email until you submit your application.
New Peer Mentor Process/Timeline
- Step 1: Complete the New Peer Mentor Application by February 5th.
- Step 2: Sign up for a group interview by February 6th by 5:00 pm. You will receive the sign-up email beginning in January. You must attend a group interview.
- Step 3: Have your reference complete their evaluation by February 17th by noon. They will not receive the evaluation email until after you submit the application. You will receive a confirmation email when they submit the evaluation.
- Step 4: Attend a group interview on February 17th. The interview time blocks will be emailed out, it will last approximately two hours.
- Step 5: We will notify you whether or not you have been selected to be a Peer Mentor, by February 24th via email. If you are selected, you will enroll in FYS 401.
- Step 6: If selected, on March 3rd you will attend the Peer Mentor Welcome Event!
- Step 7: FYS 401 class begins on March 6th.
Returning Peer Mentor Process/Timeline
- Step 1: Complete your returning Peer Mentor form by December 1st at noon.
- Step 2: Make sure your current (or most recent) FYS 101 completes their evaluation by December 1st at noon.
- Step 3: Help us select new Peer Mentors! We will email you asking to help us evaluate this year’s group of potential Peer Mentors at the group interviews on February 17th!
- Step 4: Attend one workshop a month during February, March and April. These will serve as refreshers as well as updates and changes.
*If you have taken FYS 401 and received an “NC” you are ineligible to apply to become a peer mentor.