Director, First-Year Studies
Jason came to UT as the founding director of the First-Year Studies Department in 2013 from Stony Brook University in New York. He enjoys having an impact on college students through discussion and inquiry. He enjoys helping students break down walls of what they know and co-build their understanding of how they learn and develop into successful, productive, well-educated adults.
His research interests include design thinking, collaboration, and appreciative inquiry in the higher education environment.
Foote, S., Curtis, R., & Mastrogiovanni, J. M. (2015) A multi-campus study to measure perceptions of academic exploration and engagement measured by a common rubric in a transfer student seminar. NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention - Catalyst Grant, $1,000
Doctor of Philosophy in Educational Psychology, University of Tennessee, Knoxville (in progress)
Master of Science in Music Education, Central Connecticut State University
Bachelor of Music in Music Education, University of Florida
NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention
- Editorial Board
- Educational Initiatives Committee (Association Level)
- Committee Chair
- Orientation Professionals Institute – Program Review
- Research Committee (Association Level)
- NODA Databank Chair (Association Level)
- 2014 NODA Databank Administration
- Conference Educational Program Reviewer
- Award Reviewer
National Resource Center for the First-Year Experience and Students in Transition
- Program Reviewer (SIT & FYE)
- Award Reviewer
Northeast Association of College and University Housing Officers
- NEACUHO Navigator - Editorial Board and Contributor
Gillian-Daniel, D., Clarke, K., Mastrogiovanni, J. M., & Pei, K. (2017). The unique challenges of engaging and teaching first year students. The Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning. Online Workshop.
Moock, K., Mastrogiovanni, J. M., Rielly, D. (2016). Coming to a campus near you: The political effect. NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention Annual Conference. Indianapolis, IN.
Mastrogiovanni, J. M. (2016). Appreciative instruction: A focus on pedagogy. The 35th Annual Conference on The First-Year Experience. Orlando, FL.
Mastrogiovanni, J. M. (2015). Appreciative Instruction: A new pedagogical framework for teaching first-year seminars. NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention Annual Conference. Denver, CO.
Mastrogiovanni, J. M. & Derco, J. (2015). Designing for the masses: Redesigning an online orientation course. NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention Annual Conference. Denver, CO.
Mastrogiovanni, J. M. & LeBlanc, S. (2014). Hot off the Press: NODA Databank. NODA: The Association for Orientation, Transition, and Retention Annual Conference. Orlando, FL.
Mastrogiovanni, J. M., Sokoll, R., & Peden, J. (2008). Student Affairs Professionals in the Classroom: Preparing Professionals to Teach. The 27th Annual Conference on The First-Year Experience. San Francisco, CA.
Kao, I., Peden, J., & Mastrogiovanni, J. M. (2008). Foundations of Excellence at a Public AAU University. Foundations of Excellence Annual Meeting. San Francisco, CA.
Awards and Recognitions
- Excellence in Teaching First-Year Seminars Award, National Resource Center and McGraw-Hill Higher Education (nominee) 2017
- Advanced-Coaching Certification, National Tutoring Association 2015
- Appreciative Advising Certification, Appreciative Advising Institute 2014
- Registrar Certification, Stony Brook University 2011
- Acting Director of Undergraduate Colleges, Stony Brook University 2010-2011
- Academic Advising Certification, Stony Brook University 2008
- Adviser Recognition and Training (ART), Certified 2007
- Adviser of the Year (Nominee), Central Connecticut State University 2005-2006
- Adviser of the Year, Department of Housing & Residence Education 2001-2002
Yamagata-Lynch, L. C., Despande, D. R., Do, J., Garty, E., Mastrogiovanni, J. M., & Teague, S. J. (in press). Net neutrality and implications to online learning. The International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning.
Clegorne, N. A. & Mastrogiovanni, J. M. M. (2015). Designing alternatives: Design
thinking as a mediating learning strategy to bridge science and the humanities for leadership learning. The Journal of Leadership Education. 14.(4) p. 46- 54. doi: 1012806/V14/I4/I2
Mastrogiovanni, J. (Ed.). (2011) Your first year at Stony Brook University: 2011-2012
(1st ed.). Boston: Pearson Learning Solutions.
Mastrogiovanni, J. (Ed.). (2008-2010) Your first year at Stony Brook University: The beginning of an incredible journey 2010-2011 (2nd - 4th ed.). Dubuque, Iowa: Kendall Hunt.